Saturday, August 1, 2015

Professionalism – Why We Homeschool with Mother Goose Time

Each month, Mother Goose Time asks us Blog Ambassadors to talk about a focus topic. This month’s topic is Professionalism and how it affects each of us personally. I kind of felt like this topic is geared a little more towards childcare providers or preschools so it was a little difficult to think of what to talk about initially.

My mission and vision for using this program is to help my daughter have a love of learning. She’s always been busy – always on the go. Always wanting to do something. Although she was born very early and has some delays and sensory issues, she’s very smart. It got to the point where she’d throw huge fits because she was just really bored or wanted to be attached to me 24/7 (either way). All I knew was that my little girl was driving me crazy and I had no idea what I should be doing with her.
I did a lot of research when I decided that I wanted to try to do some preschooling at home with my daughter but I had no idea where to begin. I searched Pintrest and all sorts of different websites for ideas and while they were all fantastic, I still didn’t really know where to start. It all seemed really overwhelming. Especially since my little one is only 2. And then I came across Mother Goose Time.
I fell in love. I searched and found some videos about the curriculum and even found some blogs of other blog ambassadors talking about their experiences. I just knew this would be the perfect curriculum for us and that my little girl would really love and benefit from it as well. I loved how everything is provided in each month’s box sent right to your door (minus supplies that you’d normally have on hand such as scissors, glue, crayons, markers, etc).

Using this curriculum really helps me be prepared. She has a really short attention span but also gets super excited about doing new things so unless I have everything planned out and prepped ahead of time, I usually set myself up for disaster. Or at least a tough time for both of us. If I start pulling out something and I have to still prep it somehow and she sees me doing that, she runs over and gets all excited and then gets really frustrated and mad that we can’t do whatever I’m messing with right now.
The other part that I love about this curriculum is how flexible you can be with it. If there’s a day where my little girl just isn’t having it at all and does not want to do anything that day but just play, then that’s just fine. I’ll just try again the next day. There’s days when she’s upset or tired or isn’t feeling well and that’s ok too. I try to be sensitive to her needs and if she just needs a day to relax (especially after a bunch of therapy appointments) then that’s what I try to let her do. And there’s days when she’s super excited to do school work and wants to do everything and that’s awesome too!
We get to learn and try new things every day. The teacher guides are such a huge help. Each day there are different, fun activities that tie into a certain topic for the month. They give ideas each day for investigation stations, circle time, fingerplays, activities, outdoor play/free play, tray play, stories/reading, music/movement, and closing time. Each week, there’s also an area to brainstorm with your children and record their knowledge and questions about each daily topic. Miss M is a little too little for this right now, but when she’s able to understand this I’ll love to utilize this tool as well and be able to see how much she’s learned since the beginning of the week.

I love being able to teach my daughter all sorts of new things, getting to watch her little mind grow, and to see how proud she gets of herself. I also love that we’re both learning how much fun learning can be. They’re all moments that I get to treasure because I get to experience them with her firsthand. And I’m so proud that I get to be the one to teach her all these things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment